4/07/2008

IMPROVE MY SPEAKING!!!

In speaking class, we usually use some words or phrases similarly. It's very natural. The reason is that we are Vietnamese. When we talk, we have ideas in our minds in Vietnamese and translate them into English directly also in our minds. We don't have much time to think how to use another words or phrases for our speaking. So, our speech is not various. Honestly speaking, although I'm a student majoring in English,I'm not goot at speaking at all. The reason for this may be the fact that I didn't have much chance to practise speaking when I'm in secondary school and high school. When I speak, I usually make some mistakes that I use the same word over and over again. For example, when I am asked a question beginning with "Why", I start my answer with "Because..." all the time. Or when asked for giving opinion, I always reply with the beginning "I think...". But now I think my speaking has gradually been improved. After several weeks of practising speaking and acting, I've mastered some other ways to reply intead of "because" such as BECAUSE OF..., DUE TO..., IT IS DUE TO THE FACT THAT..., THE REASON FOR THAT IS..., NOW THAT..., OWNING TO etc. Last Wednesday, I learnt some function about giving opinion, agreeing and disagreeing, discussing. I find it quite interesting. Now when I would like to show my opinion, I am supposed to use some expressions such as IN MY VIEWPOINT..., TO ME..., AS FAR AS I KNOW..., PERSONALLY (GENERALLY, HONESTLY, FRANKLY...) SPEAKING, AS I SEE IT..., THE POINT IS etc. Hey guys, let's enjoy and share with me your ideas!!<^_^> KIM NGAN

8 comments:

3snakesand1cat said...

that's a good point. I have the same problem like you.
For agreeing with someone, we can use:
I couldn't agree more.
I agree entirely.
that's just what i think.
that's a good point.
For disagreeing with someone, we use:
I can only agree with you partly.
You have a point here, but...
I'm not sure i quite agree...
I see what you mean, but...

I hope we all use these phrases frequently.^^^
Tram

tre con 89 said...

I couldn't agree more. thanks for your information. I know many ways to express ideas but i don't use them. I'll try to practise....

Daisy said...

If we always use some words in all our speech, we make others feel bored. let's learn and use many phrases in our speech. Your poit is very practical, Ngan and Tram^^

Unknown said...

oh yeah!!That's a good point,isn't it?Though I'm not majoring in English,I find it very useful for everyone. The reason is that English become popular language all over the world and in most careers

If I ask...Could u say YES??? said...

In my opinon, conversaton serves many functions. For you who major about English, I think you can use conversation to establish reltationships through personal expression, to find out infomation, to compare views with other and...to improve your speaking.hihi.
To encourage interest in conversation activities and people don't feel bored, teachers should allow students to use their natural language. For example :ủa, thiệt hok, nghe thấy ghê,etc...Sure! you must present at English.
In speaking, it is important for students to have a useful vocabulary. when student try to experiment with unfamiliar words, they should strive to find direct and meaningful ways of making themselves understood. As a result your speaking will improve..gud luck!

Captain Nemo said...

I couldn't agree more with you ! This's realy a very useful entry. I'll try to practise using the functions more . Thanks and keep going ! _ Mr Violence

PS: visit us at vivavn.blogspot.com and share your point of views with us. Cheer!!! ^^

F.l.y.i.n.G K.i.t.e.S said...

yeah, we have learned a lot and had more chances to practise our speaking skills since we entered this uni ^^ Although these functions are not easy for us to use naturally at first, I hope that we can find it much more convenient if we try our best ^^

ps: We hope you don't mind visiting our blog and share your ideas with us ^^ Thanks ^^

F5 said...

personally speaking,we don't need to learn all of function, we must choose and thinking carefully when using functions. because it still depends on various cases. cuc cu, remember to comment our blog. (tquynh)