4/09/2008

A GOOD LISTENER, EASY OR DIFFICULT???

Have you ever wondered why the person you are talking to doesn't seem to pay attention to what you've said. Actually, it occurs to my mind more than once. How about you? To me, the solution to this is quite simple. The reason is that if you would like to be listened by the person you are talking to, you, at first, have to show that you are a good listener. I've considered it one of my English troubles before. But now it is not my trouble any more!! @_@ One good way of letting a person know that you are listening attentively to him/her is to use some phrases to identify with the speaker - not necessarily to agree with the speaker, but to try to show that you are interested in what he/she is saying by responding. For example: Uh-huh, Mm-hmm,.../Mm-hmm.How come? Yeah,.../Oh, yeah. Good! Ok./That's Ok! Right./That's right! Oh, sure! Well, let see. Wow! Oh, great! That's it! Oh, no! All right! .... Especially, when someone tells you about their troubles or complaints, you should use some following phrases to share your feeling with them: Oh, don't you hate that? I can imagine. Yeah, I can relate. I see, I see. I know the feeling. Tell me about it. I know what you mean. ... Oh, yeah!!! Now practise confidently to show that you are a perfect listener! GOOD LUCK!!! KIM NGAN /

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Now, I am a student,too. In my English class, I sometimes find myself in that trouble. I feel so confused! Your entry is really what I need. Thank you!

If I ask...Could u say YES??? said...

This topic sounds interesting!
Listening is an art and listener is an artist..hehe
In my view,listening is an essential part of our life. It is different from hearing.
I altogether agree with you about your ideas. We should learn how to become a good listener. I have some ideas :
Trying to practice the empathetic technique. It is very helpful to “ repeat, encourage, summarize and restate” the main point. Repeating something said by the speaker. At the same time, encourage the speaker with positive feedback. For example, you can say “ you didn’t enjoy having to take the blame. I can see why”. Yeah! Go easy with this technique, however, because if you do overwork it, you maybe come across being a patronizing. Be careful!..an art in its own right!hihi.
What do you think about using body gestures and facial expressions in conversations? Oh, sure! we can express our interest in what they said. This way, the speaker will know the message is getting through and that there is no repeat.By watching the facial and body expressions of the speaker to try to gather all information you can, not just from the words, and then you can respond such your expressions, body language and volume..
Uh..huh ^^! Thank you for your entry. I will try to become a good listener..later..a perfect listener..^^

BoRn To ShInE said...

Your entry is really useful for us!Talk talk talk all the time is such a happiness. But if you want people to listen to you, firstly you must be a good listener!!!
Besides somes guidelines you show in entry I think we can use some other ways such as body languages, eye contact...to show your attention and trully emphathy!
Thanks!!
P.S: our group has some new entries, hope to see your idea!!!

Unknown said...

That's right! We have 2 ears & 1 mouth --> listen twice ^_^ & how to be a good listener is not as easy as we thought. Your entry helps us know that. It's really useful. Thanks!
p/s: Don't you mind visiting our group & leave your idea?

Unknown said...

Generally speaking, to speak is to listen first. To listen is for speaking later. They are interactive. When I read the title of this entry, I think at first: "Wow, it's for listening skill." But after reading it, I know I've made it quite wrong. Thanks for your lovely advice. I've tried hard. And I'll try harder.

tre con 89 said...

I usually listen to someone attentively but I don't make any features to show I see and understand what he/she say. so, I'll try to remmember some ways you recommended. thanks^^

Daisy said...

It's very useful. I would like to add something here. we not only use some ways mentioned but also keep your eye-contact to the person you are listening to^^ hehe...

Captain Nemo said...

I use a lot Uh-huh in my speaking . Any way to correct that drawback?